Frequently Asked Questions


Who do I contact with questions about undergraduate courses or programs in Statistical Science and Data Science?

Send an email with details to and we'll get back to you.    

How do I take an undergraduate statistics course through the interinstitutional program that Duke has with NC Central, NC State, UNC-Chapel Hill, UNC-Charlotte, and UNC-Greensboro?

Check with your institution's own policies.  Duke's are here for undergraduates.  Then reach out to about the availability of the specific course at Duke or to the equivalent person in the other universities' departments for their courses. The general policy is it must be arranged before the end of drop/add and only works if there are available seats and all other requirements are met. 

Do voluntary S/U courses count towards the major or minor?

The Trinity College policy on Voluntary S/U grades has changed and you can find it here. Notice that you need permission from the course instructor and your dean, and that it is up to each department to decide whether they will count a voluntary S/U course towards their major/minor/certificate requirements. In Statistical Science, only STA 101 may be taken as a voluntary S/U course. S/U courses do not count toward program core or elective requirements. They are counted in our department for math and computer science prerequisites. If you have questions, please contact the DUS.

How are major or IDM advisors assigned?

If you have a preference for a faculty member to be your advisor, please send your request to the DUS once you declare the major or IDM. If not, you will be assigned an advisor based on their availability. If you don't have a specific person in mind, but you would like to be matched with someone with similar interests, email the DUS to set up an appointment.

Who can help with my What If report for declaring a major, minor, or IDM?

If you have questions about your What If report before declaring your major, minor or IDM, contact Joan Combs Durso, the Undergraduate Coordinator.  

How can I find out more about what's going on in Statistical Science? I'm not yet ready to declare a major or I'm interested in information about statistics-related events for undergraduates.

This one-question Qualtrics survey will capture your name, email address, and Duke ID and your assent to being added to our announcement list. We'll sign you up. Alternatively, you can go to Duke List and search for stat-undergrad-undeclared alias and request to join the alias.

I am thinking of taking a statistics course abroad/away from Duke. What do I need to do to request transfer credit? 

Please fill out the transfer credit request form.

You are welcome to come to Office Hours of Mine Cetinkaya-Rundel or Joan Combs Durso.  

I am looking for a statistics tutor, do you have any suggestions?

First, we recommend taking advantage of office hours with the professor of the course as well as the TAs. If you still need additional help, see the list of private tutors.
Back to top ⤴